Monday, March 26, 2007

Sowell style

So I got called out for a lack of posting. Which is fair. Last week was light on the output. I started a couple of drafts, but didn't finish, so my blogging abilities seem commensurate with my home improvement skills--decent enough at starting, not so good about finishing.

So complete draft #1: A notes post!

From Harper's Index, via Marginal Revolution:

  • Percentage of American adults held in either prison or mental institutions in 1953 and today, respectively: 0.67, 0.68
  • Percentage of these adults in 1953 who were in mental institutions: 75
  • Percentage today who are in prisons: 97


In my investing approach post, i mentioned that S&P index funds beat 85% of all mutual funds over long periods. I also said I wouldn't consider myself a strict indexer. The main reason which I should have included is that the universe of funds I would consider is not 5000 or whatever the current number is up to--load funds are out, most sector funds are out, growth funds are out, and high expends funds are out. So that shrinks the probables quite a bit... But there doesn't seem to be a lot of readily accessible research on the comparison of low cost funds compared to index funds. Of course, even if this knocks to the index fund back to average, the issue becomes picking the fund that will do better than the index in the future, rather than the one that did so in the past...

The move up of the primaries, such as California's from June to February, means the money will decide the main party nominations. I guess the Republican side is still open, unlike the Dems 2 candidates. Knowing who in all certainty will be the nomination 8 months before the election though may mean a viable third party gets involved.

Remember line 71 on your 1040--Credit for federal telephone excise tax paid. Those who filed by march 9 skipped this about 1/3 of the time, even those using paid preparers. $30 for one exemption; $60 for two. If you have the records and time another form is available for a credit of all taxes paid.

TWOP is getting bought by Bravo, which is owned by NBC. Hopefully they don't screw up a good thing.

Progress has been made: Construction of the mantel has truly started, and there is an end in site. The side pillars are nearly done, and I'm hoping that's the hard part (wire/cable routing and issues), as that's where most of the unlevelness I have to deal with is. It's only taken... too long.

A plug for microfiber towels--a package of 12 costs ~$10 at Costco. They're very soft, water absorbant, and more the most part, streak free. I think they also have some natural "cling". After last weeks rain, I took a damp towel to the car, and it looks almost washed--much better job than one of those Car duster thingies.

I was optimistic last week in Get Fuzzy that B&S's "friends" would be moving on. Today's strip concerns me. Mac Manc McManx, Foodar, Chubby Huggs and Shakespug aren't doing it for me. Shakespug has some potential , but then again I'm a dog person...

Apparently Jon Talton is leaving the Arizona Republic. Hopefully this means the technology-based economic development crowd (my work sphere in many ways) gets a better press voice. Talton always bugged by repetitive, demeaning and intellectually arrogant. I found his writing to speak more to the choir than being convincing to those undecided or those opposed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm curious as to where you are going with the prison/mental hospital thing.

And the primaries thing is interesting.

Please expand. Maybe even in one blog. They seem to be related, at least in my mind!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the heads up on the telephone refund.