Sunday, September 2, 2007

Nielson ratings

Data from Google Analytics:

My ratings took a decided uptick this week; the "swimming boys" being the AJU equivalent of "who shot JR?" Site visits tuesday-friday: 38, 79(!), 30, 17. I think that 17 might be my fourth highest. Now the question: will I maintain audience share? Ok, let's not think about that...

The four-day peak had 68 new visitors (out of 164 visits), which sounds reasonable, but it means returning visitors return often in that window (I estimate what might be considered regular readership in the low teens).

A point of confusion on who visits the site: Columbus and Chicago rank #2 and #3 in site visits (30-day trailing). My only explanation is that regular visitors checking from work have their routings from corporate offices--i wonder if Freescale, for example, is still routed through Chicago/Schaumburg for some reason. Proof to that theory is the single visit from Rochester, MN, which I believe is the home of Mayo, the Original.

The 'burq, Gatorville and the Arch are 4-5-6 in city visits, btw

Slightly surprising to me is that Explorer is the browser of choice for the majority of visitors. It's close though: 53%-47% over Firefox. Safari has negligible use (.3%)

There's other data, but it doesn't make any sense to me. The most non-sensical is the visitor loyalty chart:
Number of visits visits
1 times 91
26.45%
2-3 times 43
12.50%
4-8 times 36
10.46%
9-14 times 36
10.47%
15-25 times 41
11.92%
26-50 times 26
7.56%
51-100 times 28
8.14%
101-200 times
43
12.50%
The only sense I can make of it is that the 344 visits in the past month (second column) is tallied per day as site visits, while the first column is total page visits in that month. SO what's not shown here is unique visitors... oh, never mind.

2 comments:

jt said...

I'd guess your ratings are artificially depressed by the rss feed. I don't visit five or six times daily anymore to see if you've posted something new.

eharty said...

I feel solely responsible for the Arch's high showing. Yeah!!! aka, I need a life...