Tuesday, July 8, 2008

5 for 12

The common pre-Fourth soda sale was 5 12-packs for $12, commonly in the form of buy 4, get one for free. So I made the decision to fully participate in the Dewmocracy, an attempt to extend the Mountain Dew brand with the "election" of a new Dew flavor, either SuperNova (strawberry), Voltage (raspberry) or Revolution (Wild Berry). And I got the original and Livewire to say I got five different flavors.

Posted by Picasa

A recap:
  • The original: Nothing beats it. It is the top dog.
  • Livewire: Not new, but my preferred alternate flavor. I loath Code Red, not so much because of the flavor but because of the not-uncommon situation that restaurants would offer Sierra Mist and Code Red, but not the original. This used to piss me off, and I would rant about it, but since I rarely ever get drinks at a restaurant anymore (except for a milk shake at our tri-monthly visit to In 'n Out (speaking of which, one will be build on an exterior pad at Fiesta Mall)), it's not really an issue anymore. And the blackout (black cherry i think) I've never tried. So Livewire kind of wins by default.
  • SuperNova: my favorite in the dewmocracy, but I'm biased to the strawberry flavor. Much like Livewire, it's similar to like-flavored sodas, but with an extra kick. This is not to say I'd definitely pick it out in a blind taste test though.
  • Voltage: It's pretty good. I actually went through it pretty quick, rather than mixing up the flavors. After drinking it exclusively for a couple of days, the first can of the original seemed a bit off. I could live with it winning, and the raspberry is a nice change of pace, as it doesn't have that "over-sweetness" that some people claim about in the original. It looks to have an insurmountable, Reagan in '84 lock on the election, as, at the moment, it is not losing any state (it's tied for the lead in 6 states)
  • Revolution: Fairly pointless. I'm not sure if the ginseng is more pronounced or what, but it has provides a sensation that isn't quite right. It's drinkable but the other two are far superior. I did a taste test with my dad, who generally isn't open to such things. He thought it was OK, and noted that it seemed "lighter" like a 7-Up in texture. I don't expect him to ever have it again.

No comments: