Friday, August 3, 2007

Something else you don't care about


Joanne didn't think I'd have the guts to do a post about rechargeable batteries.

HAH!

The above is a value pack of Sanyo Eneloop batteries that will be available at Costco starting September 1 for <$27

You probably have your NiMHs for your camera and other devices already, but in all the reading I've done on batteries, the hybrids are the best, as they combine the best elements of regular batteries (storage) with the advantages of NiMHs (rechargeable and high output). The eneloops (Kodak and Rayovac also make hybrids, but they aren't as well regarded) are able to maintain their charge when not in use. So suddenly rechargeables can be used in remotes, flashlights, etc. that have longer term use patterns. The lower discharge rate also means they keep better in cameras and other high output devices than regular NiMHs, which more than makes up for the slightly lower mAH rating (regular NIMHs can initally store more, but it quickly loses that power, so if you've ever used your camera after a long period of not using it and found your batteries had a short life, that is why).

The higher capacity of NiMHs/hybrids also allow them to be used in place of bigger batteries (hence the C & D adapters). The charger is a "smart" charger that has an algorithm to slow charging once a battery is done if another is not. The LED goes off when all batteries are charged.

If you don't need that many batteries, don't need a charger, or simply can't wait, I recommend Battery Bob as an online source. Free shipping, low prices. Can't beat that. I know. I tried.

Three other related tidbits:
  • Fancier charger for power users: Go with La Crosse. Maha is next
  • You want regular NiMHs: Maha Powerex are generally considered the best
  • Camera reviews: Steve's Digicams is... thorough (or you could just get a Canon)

1 comment:

mountmccabe said...

I admit that I don't use NiMHs in my camera. I can say that I've only had said camera since December so I'ven't truly settled into a routine. And I use it frequently enough that I shouldn't have issues with storage.

Hmm. Maybe once my camera gets back from East Africa I will look into powering it with NiMHs or these hybrids of which you speak.